Sunday 5 January 2014

Writing Challenge Day 5

2014 Get Started Write Challenge: Day 5

'For today’s task, write a pitch–preferably for the story idea you created for yesterday’s task.'

People teach English overseas for many different reasons. Some go for a year or two, and others choose to stay. I went for a change, and because I had an English Degree that was not helping my life in any other way. I quit my job as a deli girl at a grocery store, and after a couple of stressful and scary months, said goodbye to my family, friends and boyfriend to fly to Seoul, South Korea for a year. I didn't know if I'd make it for more than 4 months. In my novel, I will write about my experiences as an ex-pat. I'll write about things I learned, people I met, and the adventures I had. Adventures in Korea (name may for sure change) will be a humorous (at times) look at my life in Seoul. A go-to for people who also need an escape from their lives -or any other reason they leave.


Sharing my experience through my writing is something I've always wanted to do, and it will focus on the good and bad situations I encountered. It was a year of changes and just a little more self discovery. From birthdays and Christmas in a new country away from my family to snowboarding and para-gliding. Also a little bit of teaching life added in to the mix for good measure. I'll tell stories about drinking in Korea (soju), and festivals put on. It was a carefree and exciting life that I'd like to share with the world. Great times and many learning experiences. I came out completely different, but still with so much more to learn about life.


*Side note -I've never really done a pitch before. Actually, usually, I just get a story idea and start writing. This is a bit of a different experience for me. It's feeling a little like University again! Not that I'm complaining, it's just new. So far, I'm loving the flashbacks of good times in my life, and the encouragement to continue writing.*

All caught up now.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment