Tuesday 18 March 2014

March 18th: Writer's Block

March 18: What do you do to overcome writer’s block?

What a great question. I do this. I use my monthly prompts and I blog. So to overcome writer's block I write.

This isn't how I used to overcome it. I just didn't write when I was younger. I have too many 'wasted' years starting after University and continuing on for a few years following. I wrote in a journal occasionally. It was the wrong way to do things. I should have been writing. I try my hardest not to have regrets, but I could have been finished two novels by now if I had continued writing. (Finished - I don't know about editing and publishing).

There was a time in when I lived in Whitecourt, I was looking for a job and I was depressed about the recent past. It would have been the perfect time to write. I didn't. It would have helped with my depression. I still didn't do it. I've learned from it, I guess. I know now that writing helps. It also is the only way to write a novel. (To write.) Common sense, but I guess I didn't have my goals straight in my head back then. I didn't have the confidence to believe I would finish writing a novel.

Now I just write. If I can't think of an idea for a novel, I blog. I am in the midst of the editing stages, so writer's block isn't really an issue other than not loving to do it. I guess that's one of the main reasons I started to blog with prompts. My last blog got updated when I had something to say, but it was not organised and had big breaks between posts. I enjoy having something little to write about every day even if it's my favourite food. Even if I am blocked, it gives me the chance to have my say. Actually, I don't seem to run out of things to say lately. I hope I never stop writing because it really helps me, makes me feel better, and I enjoy it. I enjoy creating something out of words. The blogging is helping me get through the slow (and sometimes tedious) process of editing and revising. I guess I'll find out more about Writer's Block when I'm finished that, but I've found that if I have an idea, I don't get blocked that often. My problem is more procrastination. I'm still and always working on that one. Why procrastinate from something I love? I don't know.


Just a reminder, these prompts are all coming from: http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/03/march-writing-prompts.html 

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please return the favour and Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment