Tuesday 4 March 2014

March 3rd Letter to my 20 year old self

March 3: Letter to your 20 year old self.

I've seen this done before, and when there was room on my prompts for 'invented prompts', I decided this would be a great one. In all reality, I think there were not supposed to be prompts for weekends of a previous year. Either way, I added this one because I'd love to talk to my 20 year old self.

Dear Erin,

Well, if I remember correctly, in your 20th year, you are starting University, and in year two of a five year relationship. I don't want to give you too much of a spoiler on the relationship, but you choose travel instead of a man three to four years down the road. The good news is you also have a degree!

None of that is important. I don't think this letter is about changing history, it's about how you view things.

I'm trying to remember myself all those years ago. I remember a timid young woman who thought she had life figured out.

Let's start with having life figured out:

You didn't. You never will, and that is what makes life great. I still don't know where I'll be in  the years to come. I don't know how I will change, but I know I will. I'll learn more and I'll know more. I'll be happy. That much I know. And it took you a while, but you're happy. That's something that's important to you, I know. Be happy and grateful for what you have right now, and maybe it'll continue on in your life.

Society's Expectations:

Don't go for what you think is important. Marriage and kids... they may or may not happen. (Another spoiler, they haven't yet). Experience life and don't worry about settling down.

Writing:

I think you should write more. To be honest, I have no idea how much you wrote back then, but whatever you do in your life, WRITE. Write fiction, write non-fiction, blog, write letters. Don't ever stop because it will help you through so much, and it will also keep you hopeful and dreaming.

The Timid Thing:

You won't meet new people if you're scared to talk to them. You are WAY less shy than you used to be, but keep going. Join groups, talk to the person next to you in you classes. Explore the world beyond the friendships and relationships you already have. My biggest regret from University is that you never forged any friendships in classes or through University that have lasted. You met friends through work, but find more. Know more people, and while you're at it, spend more time with the people you do know. Widen your bubble, immediately.

Purely materialistic

You're already learning this, but learn it quicker: you are not going to ever be as skinny as you were in high school, and that's fine, but you should pay attention to what you're eating. Watch the fast food because it will help you gain weight in all the wrong ways. In other words... don't eat it. Skinny or bigger than skinny, you're still awesome... but just be careful. Find the happy medium. (I'm still working on that one).

Life is an adventure, and you won't learn anything by sitting home and watching TV (watch LESS TV). Work hard in school, work hard in your social life, and try new things. Never stop reading or writing. And never settle. Settling isn't for us.

One more thing about happiness? It's all up to you.

Love always,
Erin




I was actually probably about 23 in this picture. Close enough.

Just a reminder, these are all coming from: http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/03/march-writing-prompts.html 

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please return the favour and Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment