Tuesday 3 June 2014

Write What you Know? Or Write what you want?

June 3

I'm kind of skipping around on the prompts right now. There is one I'm currently working on, but it's not ready. As I was looking at my choices, this one stood out:

Do you agree with the adage “Write what you know”?

Not really. That's the easy answer.

I think if I'm writing a blog, I had better write about what I know, what I'm experiencing, and even my opinions as long as I can back them up, or express them in a non ass-hat way. If I don't know what I'm talking about, I am basically just spouting out crap. I really don't see the point in that. So yes, while I blog, I won't be talking about the law, about physics, about being a doctor... unless it's clearly a fiction post, and then nobody can stop me from being a mathematician. I write about things I experience and the emotions that I feel. I sometimes psychoanalyse myself, but really don't feel comfortable judging anybody else.

HOWEVER, if you only ever write only what you know, how will you ever learn anything? It's called research. It works. So says FOUR years in University. Thank goodness I learned something.

My novel is about a situation that has never happened to me, and about a topic I've never had to deal with. I wrote most of my novel based on my emotions. "How would I feel if this happened?" It WILL need more research at some point or another. So, yes, I don't need to write about what I know in my FICTION novel, but it's good if I have a general understanding of what I'm writing about.

Most (published) novels have acknowledgements with names of people they asked for help.

As a writer, I'm always learning, and if I chose to just write about what I already know, I wouldn't be teaching anybody anything, I wouldn't be learning anything, and I wouldn't be writing anything that means something. I need to be always learning, even if I'm writing about a past experience.

For instance, I actually don't know anything about the answer to this question except what I'm feeling about it. I am googling right now (after I'm done writing about it) to see what else is out there on the subject. To me, the answer is common sense, but only to myself. Everybody thinks differently. That's why it's so fun to read what others have to say.

Here's what I found: Write what you Like~
                                 You Know More Than You Think!
                                 Two Opinions

There's more. Just Google it.

I think it's important for me also to point out that even if I do know about something, people still see things differently, and even if I do it one way, or write about doing something one way, there are always going to be differing opinions. For the most part.

That's it. That's my opinion.


Fiction... Write What You Want. That's what I did.





And as always:
Most of my ideas are coming from http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/03/march-24th-looking-forward.html It's leads to another blog where I found the ideas. My April onward details start with that post.

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment