Monday 15 September 2014

Disappointment

Monday, September 15, 2014

Disappointment





I've always said I wouldn't be sad if I got a rejection from publishing companies. In fact, I expect it. I also expect to be published at some point in my life. I don't really consider rejection to be failure, or to be a sign that I'm unable to reach my goals. I'll reach them eventually. 


I will be disappointed. I can't lie to even myself about that. I expected to be disappointed if I received a rejection.

Unfortunately, I'm disappointed now about something else. 

This was my first time submitting the novel I would love to have published. A long time ago, when I was in high school, I submitted a short story. It was rejected, and that was the extent of my braveness in getting my stories out there. 

In other words, I don't know as much about publishing as I'd like to. Here is what I assumed: I assumed I'd get a letter in the mail telling me it wasn't going to be published. I thought they'd mail the rejection to me with the 20 pages of the query. I even sent them a self addressed/stamped envelope to do it. 

I had hopes that they'd say yes, of course. High hopes and all, but realistically, if I didn't get the good news, I fully expected the bad news.

Instead, my disappointment is in the fact that I got no response. They say they respond in three to four months. I submitted it April 14th. Post Here.

It's been longer. I can deal with that, but still, I need answers before I send it to the next publisher. It's 'bad etiquette' to send it to more than one publisher at once, but if they don't respond, it certainly doesn't feel like bad etiquette on MY part.

I decided to send an email to the editor. I was scared because I wasn't looking forward to the "Oh, yeah, we don't want to publish you," response. Instead of that, I received a different email. An auto responder letting me know, he won't be back until October. It's safe to say, I'm not getting published on the first try.

The next time I send it, I'm also going to send a postcard (self addressed/stamped) for them to send to me letting me know they received it. At least I'll know that much. 

I'm disappointed. I was expecting a lot. Possibly, I was expecting too much, but I don't think so. I think I should have received my rejection. It sounds funny to say, but it's true.

How to solve this feeling: 






And as always:
Most of my ideas are coming from http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/03/march-24th-looking-forward.html It's leads to another blog where I found the ideas. My April onward details start with that post.

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment