Sunday 9 November 2014

Research and Nano update

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Monday, I wrote about what I love: http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/11/i-really-love-writing.html. Writing. I love writing. It's making me so happy these past few days.

I've been writing every day, but not as much as I'd like. I'm not talking blogging here. I'm talking about my novel writing. As I said, I started strong on the weekend. I wrote around 5000 words a day. That's good. I'm proud of that. I've slowly dwindled as the week continued. Today, I've been completely unmotivated, so I was hoping that writing a blog post would put me in the writing mood. I also miss my blog.

Writing on week nights is going a little better than I expected. After working a full day in front of a computer, I would never expect to write a lot on a week night. My goal was 2000 words a day from Monday to Friday. Although I have written every day, I only made 2000 words about two of the five days. I know I've written a lot already, but I wanted to continue to write my goal amount every day. I'm letting myself down, even though I am actually doing well. I think this is a situation where I can be hard on myself though, especially if I get a novel out of it.

Going into this second novel I was worried. My first novel was an idea that had been rolling around in my head for years. Years. I didn't have another idea that I've been holding on to for as long. That's kind of why I went with a character from the last novel. (But not the same theme).

When I do make time to write, I get a lot done in a small amount of time. I shouldn't be surprised at that. I used to be really good at the last minute essay writing in university. (Years ago). It's more than that though, the words and conversations are all flowing very well. (So far.)


According to NaNoWriMo definitions, I am a Panster. Writing at the seat of my pants. In other words, I don't plan. I'm starting to think I need to do a little bit more planning on because I'm not sure where my story is going.

However, with writing, occasionally, comes something I don't love so much. Research. (I didn't love it while I wrote essays either.)

Today at work, I did some research about rape victims. Where did I turn? Pinterest. It's strange right? I also use Pinterest to plan my wedding even though I haven't been asked, and don't really know if it will happen. Pinterest, to me, is for planning imaginary weddings, recipes, quotes, clothes... material stuff. I randomly searched rape quotes though, and I found so many things. People who have been through something horrible, and are allowing their voices to be heard.

I want to give my character the right voice. I haven't been through this, personally, and I hope I'm writing that part of it correctly.

I haven't had to do a lot of tough research for this one. The first novel, probably still needs a bit of research on certain things that I don't know enough about, but I'll get back to it.

One other thing, I realise this may have been the first time I mentioned that rape is in my book. (I think). An actual rape isn't in the book. This deals with the aftermath of it. My first novel dealt with the aftermath from a different perspective.

Side note, I've also been trying to stay off Facebook so I can focus 100 percent on writing. It's not going very well so far. Especially today.

Now, back to my novel writing...




And as always:




©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


No comments:

Post a Comment