Wednesday 4 March 2015

Childhood Memories

March 4, 2015 

Best Childhood memory. Day 4

My childhood memories are vague at the moment, but one thing I always that always comes to my mind when I think of my childhood is my grandparents.

We were lucky enough to live close to my Grandma and Poppy (that's what we called my Grandpa). Many of my memories include fun with them. We always played games at their house. I can remember sleepovers as well.

One specific memory I have of these two was when I was spending some time with my grandma. We were playing 20 Questions. My Grandpa (Poppy) and Dad came in while I was trying to guess an answer. I don't remember how old I was, maybe 8. My grandma was trying to give me hints for teeth, and for some reason, I wasn't getting the answer.

Poppy decided to give me a hint. He looked over at me and pulled out his false teeth. I'm not sure if I knew what false teeth were at that point, so when he pulled them out of his mouth, I screamed. They all laughed.


My memories of my other Grandma are different. She lived four hours away, so we didn't see her as much as we saw my Grandma and Poppy.

I remember the car rides to Moose Jaw. I remember the anticipation. From a young age, I loved my Grandma M more than anything. (I wasn't the only one). This never changed as I grew older. The four hour car rides were horrible for all involved. My sister and I couldn't wait to get out and get to Grandma, and my parents spent the four hours listening to us - not sleeping. We never fell asleep during car rides. I remember just watching for all the glowing lights of Moose Jaw so I'd know we were almost there.

The visit was never long enough, but we always got to snuggle with Grandma, catch up with her and my Aunts and cousins, and watch the movies she had taped. (Anne of Green Gables was one of those). Every time we left, Grandma would make sure I 'forgot' something so we'd have a reason to visit again. (She was reason enough, but the game was fun).

Just writing this post makes me miss the three of them. I have a lot of great childhood memories. Most of them are good. I spent the first two years of my life not speaking and crying. My sister was my voice. Somehow, we all got through that, and had wonderful times.

 The picture below is a great example of my wonderful personality before two. I remember when I was older asking my sister why I was dirty and crying in this photo. She told me she had taken me across the street and left me there. I believed her. She doesn't remember telling me this, but it wasn't when the picture was taken. My family went on a long drive to camp with my dad's side. It was hot, and I didn't do well in heat. I was an unpleasant traveller, but they let me come back with them. If I have a child, I'm sure it will be payback for the first two years of my life.
Those are my memories.

Happy Wednesday!
March Prompts: Here gets you to another link and here.
As always,


"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment