Wednesday 22 April 2015

Sweet Gilbert Blithe

April 22, 2015

No updates or prompts today. I just want to pay tribute to a character that I grew up with. Jonathon Crombie passed away on Wednesday, April 15th. I don't know a lot about the actor, but I know a lot about a role he played.  Hearing the news made me sad. I didn't expect that. He was a huge part of my childhood.



Gilbert Blithe


When asked which actor I had a crush on as a child or teenager, the first names that come to mind are actors from television shows. Actors that were in all the teen magazines. Mostly American actors.


There is one I forget about. It's not the actor so much as the character he played.


Jonathon Crombie was a Canadian actor. He played Gilbert Blithe in Anne of Green Gables. 


I'm sure that anybody who has watched Anne of Green Gables, young or old, fell in love with Gilbert Blithe. 


Gilbert was intelligent, full of humour, caring, and very loyal. I've read a lot about the actor and it sounds like Jonathon Crombie had a lot of similar characteristics. 


Anne of Green Gables is full of characters you fall in love with. From Matthew to Marilla, and of course, Anne (with an E). Even Rachel Lynde is a beloved character from my childhood.


L. M. Montgomery created a world I fell in love with. She created characters I will always love. 

I read the books with my mom, and when we went to visit my grandma, we ALWAYS watched the taped movie she had. It was back when  you taped movies on VHS, and watched them in a VCR.


I don't know how many times we watched it, but it was never enough.

Anne of Green Gables will always be an inspiration for me in my writing.


My Grandma brought the Anne doll back from PEI.

As for Gilbert Blithe, without my knowing it, he became an example of a great boyfriend and a great friend.

He loved Anne from the start. He loved her for all of her faults (stubbornness comes to mind). 

He was her biggest fan, and biggest supporter. He encouraged her writing, and always knew she would succeed.

He teased her when he first met her, and Anne didn't forgive him for a long time. When she finally did, he accepted her friendship. Even though he wanted romance, as did almost every person watching or reading. 

Gilbert Blithe is always going to be a perfect character, and an inspired romantic to me.

It's sad that Jonathon Crombie has died. I am sad for his loved ones who lost somebody who sounds like a wonderful man.

The character he played, will live on. 

I will share Anne and her world with my future child (if I have one). I think that is reason enough to have a little girl. 

The first movie came out in 1985, and the first sequel came out in 1987. I've loved Anne and Gilbert since I was five (assuming I watched it when it first came out). That's a lot of years of loving an imaginary world.

Anne beats out Pooh any day. I also loved Pooh.

I am happy to say, that I have found my own Gilbert Blithe. Somebody who accepts me for who I am, and is my number one supporter. It took a while, but we found each other. 

I've been thinking a lot about the movies lately after hearing about the death of Mr. Crombie. They are a truly great Canadian memories, and I'm so lucky that it was a part of my childhood.

I think many were reminded this week of their childhood, and of watching Gil and Anne. 

All I want to do now is read the books and watch the movies. If only I was done unpacking! 





Happy Wednesday to you all. Another post will be coming, but possibly not until next week.




"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment