Wednesday 6 May 2015

Another NO!

May 6, 2015

It looks like it's another month of not having time to post. I hope to post once a week in May. Right now, that's all I can promise myself.

Life has been busy lately, and I feel like I'm counting down the days until the next pay day, which is a horrible way to live. June will be a better month. Possibly, at age 34, it's time to really think about the whole budgeting thing.


However, that is not what this post is about. I'm not having money problems (just to clarify), It's just a month with extra stress, and I feel like I could be doing better.


Here's what I want to talk about today:

A Much Needed Writing Update

Today I am going to write an update on my writing because that's one of the main reasons I have this blog. 


Recently, something very important happened.

I got ANOTHER no. It is my second no. This one came from the original publisher I sent to. It took them a while to get back to me, but I'm glad they did. (Even after ALL the impatience on my end). 


It was a no. I was rejected. 


How did I react?


No tears, no panic, no thoughts that I'd never get published. I responded to thank them for getting back to me, and then forwarded it to my friend in Toronto because she takes things like that as encouragement. She will make sure I know it's encouraging, and gets me closer to a yes.


This time, I believed her. Even before I forwarded it to her, I was okay. It might be because I thought the non response was a no, so I'd already come to terms with it. All in all though, the rejection was positive.

Rejection is not failure. It's only failure if I give up.



Short and sweet, and to the point.

Once again, I'm sharing the letter (more than the first) because it isn't something that bothers me. My writing blog will maybe some day have a published book to talk about, but for now, there's this.

I chose the publishers I did because they are based out of my province. However, it is true that they can only publish so many writers a year because they are smaller publishers (I'm in a smaller province). It's important for me to remember that. I can imagine, choosing a first time writer, who hasn't quite got her novel polished perfectly, is not something that happens. 

What to do now?

I wrote a really good novel. I know that. These rejections aren't taking that away from me. Yes, it will need edits, and it will need changes, but I still love the story, and the way I told it.


I'm just waiting on comments and the evaluation of my novel. I'm getting it evaluated through a Writer's Guild. It should be coming back any time. I'm excited to rework it, and start picking new publishers. 

I think I am learning a lesson in patience. Just like budgeting, patience is an important lesson to learn at any age (but especially in my 30s). This isn't going to be a quick process. I have to be okay with that. 

In the meantime, I'll keep on writing, keep on reading, and keep on living my life with expectations that I WILL get published some day.

Here's to a rejection with no tears. If I get a third rejection, I can't guarantee I will have the same reaction. I may cry the next time. 

That's my writing update. Not a lot has happened yet, but I have to work to make it happen. 

Until next week. (Hopefully).

As always,


"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

7 comments:

  1. That is a standard rejection letter, they're much kinder than they used to be! When I first submitted to publishers they were 'rejection slips' - literally a slip of paper, saying 'sorry, not for us'. You could always self-publish - I'm going to give you a link to a post I wrote about this, I hope you don't mind; it might be of use to you, and the comments should interest you, too. Best of luck! x

    http://ukartsdirectory.com/terry-tylers-literary-blog-9/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't standard (haha) because it was encouraging. The first one I got gave suggestions on places to go in my province to help the novel, so it was a bit more informative.

      I always have self publishing on the back of my mind, but haven't decided yet. I want to send it out to a few more publishers first.

      I'll definitely take a look at the link. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

      Delete
    2. Oh - sorry if that sounded harsh, I didn't mean it to! But yeah, they mostly do all say much the same thing. I remember a friend told me that she'd got one suggesting that although it wasn't right for them, she should keep submitting - then she got the same sort of letter from about 6 more, and sussed out that it was a standard letter! I've had a few from agents, too; at the end of the day, though, they're as much of a 'no' as the old fashioned rejection slip, but unless your book's got major flaws who knows when you might hit on the person who loves it! The critique will probably be a real help, too - and I hope that article I sent is, as well :)

      Delete
  2. Well done on your candour and courage to share this with us. I would have gone to cry and eat worms in the garden in your place, but your attitude is much saner. Hang on in there and you will get there in the end. It's a numbers game, I remind myself how many times Harry Potter and many other books got rejected and then amazed publishers with their success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Well, it is getting easier. I cried A LOT with the first one. This one may have just come at a time when I'm a bit too busy have the meltdown. It will come with the next one, I'm sure!
      I agree, it's good to remember that other writers go through the same thing. :)
      Thanks for reading and commenting! Makes my day!

      Delete
  3. Aww, I'm so sorry hon. But good on you for your positivity! Having that great outlook gives me no doubt that you will eventually get this book published, you just haven't found the right one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! I guess i just have to keep trying!

      Delete