Tuesday 11 April 2017

Stay At Home Writing Mom

April 11, 2017

I'm a little behind. I was going to have this written and posted yesterday, but I was working on a Guest Post for the Mommy Connections page. I didn't finish it last night either, but I have now.

I recently reconnected with a friend. The last time we were actual friends was in grade 9 or 10. It's been a while. 

She was over visiting with her boyfriend, and said to me, "I should have known you'd be a writer because of how much you loved writing when you were younger." (20 plus years ago).

My first thought, and something I stopped myself from saying was, "I'm not a writer, yet."

Sometimes, I feel like I have to be published to be a writer. I think my writing doesn't count. 

I know better than this. I know I'm a writer. I'm not talking blog posts as much as writing stories. Even when I'm not writing, I'm still a writer. (Although a practicing writer is what I strive to be, published or not). 

I was a writer 20 years ago, I just didn't have the confidence to say it.

It took me a long time to admit I was a writer. It took me a long time to get back to writing with enough passion that I knew I was a writer. It makes me sad to think that even for a moment, I didn't consider myself a writer.

How do I fix this thought that I'm not yet a writer? I guess I write. Every night. Every moment I can. (When I'm not being a Momma or working on other projects.)

I was planning to write about the Writer's Workshop I went to a couple of weeks ago.

I will, but first a little about my new writing space.

I've had trouble lately getting to my desk and writing. In fact, my desk had a pile of things on it that made it impossible to write. I was using it as a crap holder. It was downstairs in the spare room next to Clint's desk. I thought writing next to him would be good. It's helped me in the past.

Instead, for the most part, I wrote in my bedroom. Which is fine, but my laptop NEEDED a desk. It looks better on a desk. It likes being on a desk better.

I also needed to find a way to include both my writing and my baby. I needed to figure out how to be a Mom writer (but not necessarily always writing about the baby.)

I was in the middle of organising the disaster I like to call his play room. (Three days ago, it was a play room, as well as the place we put things that have no home - the crap holder room, not to be confused with the crap holder desk.) 

I wanted it JUST to be a play room, and had it all done and wonderful when I had a brilliant thought. I can move my desk into his play area. I can write while he plays. (Which will only works half the time because I still want to play with him.) I can write when he's down for the night and taking naps as well - his room is next door.

So far, I LOVE it.






I'm really loving it so far. Today I started a photo project while he was playing. I haven't tried writing yet while he's awake, but have used my desk more in these two days than I had in ten plus months.

Also, it's keeping me off Netflix. I needed to slow down on the Netflix watching. My brain was mush.

Now to talk about my Writer's Workshop.

I signed up for a Writer's Workshop, called Writerlicious. I've never done a Workshop quite like this. I think other than university, I've done one workshop. 

I plan to do a lot more.

The guest writer was Alice Kuipers. I've read some of her books. (YA and I have a kid's book she wrote for Anthony.) I was excited to see her speak.

The whole thing was very motivating. I learned a lot, and I really found it useful. I wasn't sure what I'd get out of it, and I was happy about every new step I discovered to improve my writing.

We had a chance to mingle after the workshop. That part was good for me because I don't actually spend a lot of time discussing writing with other writers. I sat with three other women about my age (I think). We discussed the possibility of a writer's group. I'm really excited about that.

Long story short, it was good that I went. Even though, leaving Anthony is always really hard, this was something important. I left the workshop feeling ready to write. Although I haven't quite started (again) yet, I really know I will. 

I'm going to continue to be a writer. I'm going to keep writing and I'm going to keep getting better. I hope to be published. Motivation is a pretty great thing.

They served wine at the event... Writing and Wine? My favourite W's.

It also helped me with my final decision not to go back to work. If I was working, I don't think I'd make the time to write. I'd be too busy spending every moment with Anthony, and feeling guilty about every moment not spent with him. Also, I think writing commercials didn't always help my love for writing at home.

This is going to work. Motivated and confident today. 

(I think the new writing/play space was the best thing for me.)

Thanks for reading! 

One more thing, this quote pretty much says it all: 

“Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.”


― Jane Yolen





"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

I occasionally do guest Mom posts for a local Mommy Connections blog. Check them out, and others here:
 http://www.mommyconnections.ca/saskatoon/category/mommy-connections-news/

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment