Sunday 25 March 2018

I Can't Join Your Team

I am hesitant to write this post because I don't want to offend anybody. I don't want to offend friends who are part of the MLM teams. (For lack of a better word - or acronym, I'm going to call it MLM - Multi Level Marketing.)

I have friends in various MLMs and this post isn't about them. When asked, if I want to join, they have respected my choice to say no. In fact, most people do. That's not really what this is about.

Being a mom seems to be a signal that you should be asked. Being a Stay at Home Mom seems to mean you have a sign on your back saying you NEED to be asked to join a team.

Today, through Instagram messaging, I received TWO different requests for me to join a team. Two requests from strangers.

I've had other mothers through Instagram contact me, and make small talk, and then ask. I've been okay with this. Today, they just asked. Not a lot of small talk. 

I'm usually okay with this. I get it. It's what you do. And some of you, are very good at whatever you've chosen as your MLM. 

Today, it got to me. I always respond with a 'thanks, but no thanks.' I usually always give a reason even though I shouldn't have to. 

Today, I blocked both of the women who sent me requests. I'm not sorry about my decision. 

As I've said before, I post a lot about my writing life and about my mom life on Instagram. I don't think any of what I post says anything that should lead people to believe I'm the right type of person to approach. I just like to post.  I have been approached before, but not blocked them. These are people who comment on my photos, and I comment on theirs. They are strangers, but I feel we have a connection through motherhood. However, the connection almost ends there. I'm sure we have more in common, and believe me I also believe in health and fitness, but I don't want to join your team to do it. (I have Fitbump for that). 

Now to save time, here are the reasons I don't want to join your team:

  • I don't want to. That should be all I need to say. I'll add more though.
  • My focus is on writing. No, I'm not making any money at this yet, but I hope to. If I stop writing, I won't get to where I want to be with my writing. I want to get there. I don't want ANY other distractions.
  • I WANT TO BE A WRITER NOT A SALESPERSON. And don't tell me it's not sales. You ask people to join your team. You try to sell it.
  • I'm a terrible salesperson. Terrible. 
  • I know that it's perfect for moms, but I spend a lot of my day chasing after a toddler. I don't want to add more to my day right now. I want to spend it doing things I love, and seeing people I love, and I don't think I'd love the MLM I join. I know I wouldn't, I think know it would stress me out.
  • Last, but not least: I don't want to. I have no interest. None. Never have. Probably never will. 
I will listen to your pitches. I will think about purchasing your products, but I might not. I also might. That's up to me. It was your choice to sell, and it's my choice on where to spend the money I have. (Someday, I'll be a famous writer - or win the lottery - and I will have more money to spend, but for now, I don't. AND I KNOW I CAN MAKE MONEY BY JOINING YOUR MLM - SEE ABOVE.)

Okay, that's all. Like I said, some people can do it. Some people can join, and do a kick ass job at their new job. (I know these people.) But it's not for me. So you can ask, and I won't be offended because I get that's part of your job, but I won't say yes. For sure, I won't say yes. That's my choice. 

You have your passion. I have mine.

Writing. And my family.



"Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.”

― Jane Yolen

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

I occasionally do guest Mom posts for a local Mommy Connections blog. Check them out, and others here:
 http://www.mommyconnections.ca/saskatoon/category/mommy-connections-news/

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

2 comments:

  1. Yes to all of this!
    Also, please don't private message me trying to sell my something... I'll message you when I want to buy 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I also have issue with it being referred to as buying local, but that's a whole other post. Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete