Friday 23 March 2018

Writer's Block? What's that?

March 23, 2018

Writer's Block Un-Blocker

I've been doing a Nanowrimo challenge on Instagram using the hashtag #instawrimo. Today's prompt was Writer's Block Un-blocker. Because it's meant for Instagram, usually I include a photo with a bit of a post about why I chose the photo, or how I feel about the prompt. 

I thought I'd use it as a blog post topic instead of picking a random prompt. (Or just rambling.)

Here is the photo I was going to post to Instagram for it. Posed tonight. Instead I'll just use a screen shot of this post. Excuse the pajamas. We had a snow day. I actually like the one of just my hand. That's not the one I was going to post though.




Basically, my solution for writer's block is to write. Every Day. In the past, writer's block would lead to months of not writing. I'll never let that happen again.

If I don't know what to write, I do a prompt from my prompt book. I always try to do a happy thought.
 
 I think because I have so many different places to write (I call it places, but method or ways to write would also work), it helps me keep myself from getting the dreaded writer's block. But ONLY if I write everyday.

Lately, I've been blogging (this blog, my book blog, and the Mommy Connections Mom blogs), I have been doing personal writing in my journal (which was needed), I've been doing the prompts, I've been editing, and I've been working on new novel ideas. I'm also working on a piece for something completely new. Details to come. And this doesn't count, but I do a lot of Instagram posts - they are photos, but also time for me to share my thoughts, happy moments, or frustrations. I share a lot, but because it feels good to write as I share my photos.  

I choose one or two of the above writings to do a night, and I write. Sometimes I write earlier, other nights I write later. I always write though, and it's the only thing that keeps me going with my writing. At this point, I'm scared to stop writing for even a day. I don't want to lose what I have going. It's also something that is for me. (And for anybody I choose to share it with.)

I've also been keeping track of how many days I write. I was doing it on Instagram, but that got pretty tedious. Now I write it down everyday, and I make note of what I've written. There isn't really any reason for this other than keeping myself accountable. Keeping myself accountable is key. (Day 284).

I've been trying to figure out what I did for writer's block in the past. How did I write? I don't know. I think I just wrote when I was inspired. I didn't realise that writing was my inspiration. If I had known that, I may have finished a novel much earlier. I spent too many years not writing. I'm so glad I rediscovered it. 

I hope I get published someday, but even if I don't, I know I'm doing everything I can, and I'm writing. No matter what. I don't really feel as though I get writer's block anymore because I've always got some form of writing to do. If I need a break from my novel, I have lots of other things to fall back on. If I can't think of a blog post idea, I go to Pinterest and find a prompt. I'm always writing so I haven't given myself a chance to get writer's block. I don't plan to either.

That's it. Short post today. It's actually not easy to write about a problem I don't have. Luckily. I guess if I find myself with writer's block, I'll solve it with a blog post.

Happy Friday everyone. (I remember when I used to do things on Friday nights. Now I do the same thing I do every night. I get my son to sleep, I write, I Netflix, I have a glass of wine, I try to read a little, and I sleep.)




"Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.”

― Jane Yolen

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

I occasionally do guest Mom posts for a local Mommy Connections blog. Check them out, and others here:
 http://www.mommyconnections.ca/saskatoon/category/mommy-connections-news/

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment